A message from Bret Michaels about the Special Diabetes Program
I’ve had diabetes since I was six. It’s a constant battle. Fighting to live a normal life. Every year, diabetes kills more Americans than breast cancer and AIDS combined. It’s an epidemic we need to stop.
The Special Diabetes Program is our nation’s most effective federal initiative to Stop Diabetes®and its complications. Since its inception in 1997, the Special Diabetes Program has made real advances in diabetes research, treatment and prevention efforts, bringing us closer to a cure for diabetes.
Despite its successes, the Special Diabetes Program is set to expire unless Congress renews it.
We need your voices and your stories to make sure your Members of Congress know the importance of this program and feel the urgency in securing a renewal this year!
Join me and thousands of Diabetes Advocates across the nation in voicing unified support for renewing the Special Diabetes Program. Call your Members of Congress this week and tell them the importance of enacting a multi-year renewal of the SPECIAL DIABETES PROGRAM THIS YEAR!
Making your call only takes a minute, but it could affect millions of lives and improve the future for people with diabetes.
Here’s all you need to do:
- Dial 1-866-459-1206, and follow the prompts to enter your zip code and be connected to the offices of your Senators and Representative. Should you have difficulty connecting to your Members via this number, please call the Capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121 and ask for your elected official’s office.
- Once you get a staff person on the phone, ask to speak to the health aide. Tell the health aide that you’re a constituent who knows the burdens of diabetes, and that you strongly urge the Senator/Representative to support inclusion of a multi-year renewal of the Special Diabetes Program on any must-pass legislation this year.
If you like, you can use some of our additional talking points to help guide your conversation:
- With nearly 24 million Americans living with diabetes, it is clear that diabetes impacts our entire state and nation. And the numbers and costs are only growing. We must do something to stop this epidemic.
- The Special Diabetes Program is making REAL advances in diabetes research, treatment and prevention efforts. It is bringing us closer to a cure for diabetes and its complications.
- Failure to renew this program this year will mean serious job loss, capacity loss and damage to all the people who benefit from this program.
- On behalf of my family and all those in our state impacted by this disease, I thank you.
That’s all there is to it!
Once you’ve made your call, help us make sure that Congress hears from as many people as possible over the next few days. Forward this email to friends and family and ask them to join you in calling for reauthorization of the Special Diabetes Program this year.
With nearly 24 million Americans living with diabetes and the numbers increasing, curing diabetes and its complications cannot wait. Thank you for joining me in taking action and giving hope to millions of Americans with diabetes.
Musician BRET MICHAELS
For more of Bret’s story, go to bretmichaels.com/stopdiabetes
As a Texas Disability Advocate, I encourage you to:
Tell Congress to act NOW to renew funding for these critical programs.
Call your Members of Congress this week: 1-866-459-1206