Important Reporting Requirements if you are receiving Supplemental Security Income Benefits

Supplemental Security Income, or SSI, is not the same as disability insurance.

SSI is available to individuals who are unable to work but only if they are also poor.

SSI is a “poverty based” program.

It was created in 1972.

The SSI program was the final legislative disposition of a much more comprehensive  welfare reform proposal sponsored by the Nixon administration. In effect, SSI federalized the various existing state welfare programs that were typically known as the “adult categories” of aid, that is, aid to the needy elderly, blind and disabled.

If you receive SSI benefits you will receive them for life so long as your disability continues.  However, if your financial situation changes, your entitlement may change.  You may:

  • no longer technically qualify for benefits,
  • may be entitled to more money or
  • may be entitled to less money.

You must let SSA know if your situation changes.  What types of changes should you disclose:

  • you move
  • anyone else moves into or out of your household
  • someone in your household dies
  • you marry, separate, or divorce
  • income or resources for you or members of your household change
  • your medical condition improves
  • you go to work
  • you leave the United States and expect to be gone for a full calendar month or for 30 consecutive days
  • you are in a hospital, jail, or other institution for a full calendar month
  • a felony warrant or a warrant for violating a condition of parole or probation is issued for your arrest.

How to contact SSA

  • Call 1-800-772-1213
  • contact your local Social Security office